Cooper's Hawk fledglings, etc

Esther and I saw a couple of Cooper's Hawk fledglings this morning on
Sunset Parkway in north Asheville.  This is an area where Cooper's Hawks
have nested the past four years.  We never found the nest this year, and
have seen the adults so seldom the past several weeks that we began to
think no nesting occurred.

So we were glad to see the gawky young hawks, giving piteous meowing calls
and chasing after an adult.  The nesting occurs in an area with many mature
white pines, hemlocks and Norway spruce, plus some hardwoods.

On another note, pulling into a WalMart parking lot just before dusk
Wednesday, we heard a Wood Thrush in some woods uphill and a phoebe that
sounded like it was sitting on a light post in the parking lot.  The
WalMart and many other stores, restaurants and motels sit below Beaucatcher
Mountain, through which the Asheville tunnel runs.  It's nice to know a
Wood Thrush finds the woods attractive despite the noisy, busy neighborhood
below.

Len Pardue
Asheville, NC