re: need help with buteo ID

Carolina birders,

Thanks you for your help and suggestions on the small, dark buteo ID.

One of you wrote to me (and I haven't asked for permission to quote so I
won't give a name):

> Assuming we're deciding between Broad-winged and Red-shouldered, if you
>could see bare legs above the feet while the bird was perched, that
>would be a pretty good indicator of Red-shouldered, all plumage
>details notwithstanding.

Well, OK. This buteo stood on long, yellow legs.  So I'm calling it a dark
Red-shouldered.  This is a good, solid conclusion because there are a good
many Red-shouldereds in my neighborhood.  I've had them in the yard before
- after the squirrels, I reckon.  I've just never seen a dark one before
anywhere.

thanks,

St.

Stephen Thomas