Accipiter in the grass

On my drive to work this morning, I glimpsed a hawkish-looking bird standing
on some short grass in a farmyard next to the road. I backed up to take
another look. It was an odd bird because it appeared to have a white feather
on top of its head. But it was grayish otherwise and looked like an
accipiter. It looked around at me when I stopped and then took off,
revealing alternating gray and dark tailbands (an accipiter for sure) and
carrying its small kill in one foot. I'm guessing, purely based on size and
time of year, that it was a Cooper's. And who knows what it caught. Plenty
of little birds and little rodents around that farm!
Ginger Travis
near Chapel Hill, N.C.