immature rubythroats, house finch color morphs

Carolina Birders,

I recently spoke with Bob Sargent about immature ruby-throated hummingbird
plumage. In contrast with adults, immatures have buffy-colored feathers
scattered about their heads and necks. (Note: I was using the term juvenile
before; however, juvenile typically refers to a bird that has not developed
a complete set of true feathers. An immature, on the other hand, has true
feathers but lacks adult coloration.) Toward the end of the summer, a few
gorget feathers are visible on immature males.

On a different topic, I was wondering how common the orange and yellow house
finch color morphs are. I have an all-orange (tangerine) one at my feeders
this year, and it is the first I've ever seen. Very pretty.

Leah

p.s. Does anyone know of a good online glossary of bird terminology?

Leah Campbell
Blackstock, SC
leahcam@lycos.com
faeriemaiden@hotmail.com