house finch colors

Helpful C-birders,

Not meaning to sound ungrateful, but I already knew about the diet-feather
coloration thing. Sort of like flamingo pink and shellfish? I was really
wondering how common the all-orange or all-yellow house finches are. (For
example, Sibley says the yellow form is most common in the Southwest.)
Banders, how often do you see them in relation to red ones, here in the
Carolinas?

Thanks! Leah

(p.s. I wonder if brighter-colored house finches are actually healthier than
the paler ones. They are getting more antioxidants, right?)

Leah Campbell
Blackstock, SC
leahcam@lycos.com
faeriemaiden@hotmail.com