Another Old Hummingbird

HI . . .

A second Ruby-throated Hummingbird banded in 1997 at Hilton Pond
Center for Piedmont Natural History was re-trapped yesterday (14 July
2002), and this bird is even older than the one (T86030) I described
last week at http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek020622.html.

Yesterday's re-trap (T85911) was banded as an After-Hatch-Year female
on 30 May 1997, which makes her an After-6th-Year bird now. She was
in fine shape, and not showing her age in the slightest.

This bird has been re-trapped locally each year since she was banded.
It's happenings like this that make all those hours of watching traps
worthwhile!  :-)

Happy Hummingbird Watching!

BILL

P.S. One other AHY-female banded in 1997 (T85914) was re-trapped each
year until this one, so I'm still waiting on her.
--

BILL HILTON JR., Executive Director
hilton@hiltonpond.org, (803) 684-5852, eFax: (503) 218-0845

The mission of Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History is "to
conserve plants, animals, and other natural components of the
Piedmont Region of the eastern United States through observation,
scientific study, and education for students of all ages." Please
visit our web sites (courtesy of Comporium.net) at
http://www.hiltonpond.org and
http://www.rubythroat.org .

"Never trust a person too lazy to get up for sunrise or too busy to
watch the sunset."					BHjr.