the misfortune of Chimney Swifts

Yet another strange episode from Project Barred Owl. Although I'm sure that
previous Chimney Swifts have suffered various forms of molestation and
torture, this particular incident is bound to add a new twist. A suburban
Charlotte woman whose yard happens to be the home of a family of Barred Owls
decided that a facilitated predator-prey interaction was in order. She is
preparing to sell the house and didn't want the noisy chimney tenants to
discourage prospective buyers, so she opened the damper door and the
fledgling swifts fell right down into a bucket. She promptly transported
them outside to a waiting hungry mouth in the form of a fledgling Barred
Owl. I suppose there could have been a more unappropriate end to their young
lives but I'm just not quite sure what it would be...well, they could have
been consumed by a domestic cat - yeah, that's it.

Eric Harrold
Charlotte, NC