Re: substitute tripod

I took a look at Stephen Harris' recommended web site, and I remember a
similar perhaps less militaristic looking support being advertised in birding
magazines some years ago.  I also remember some tales on Carolinabirds about
birders using such devices being subjected to scrunity by law enforcement
types.  We live in a different world since 9/11, and I wonder what would
happen to a birder lurking around a bridge, dam, airport, etc. with a scope
or camera mounted on a stockpod.  This winter I was turned away by a security
guard when I tried to stop and look for gulls through the fence at the E. M.
Johnson Water Plant here in Raleigh.  Just a word of caution.

Clyde Smith
Raleigh, NC
Smith82534@aol.com

"To me all the frail, enduring beauty of the world finds its voice in the
song of the whitethroat."  Edwin Way Teale