driveway birding

Carolina Birders,

I just got back from a very eventful 10 minute trip to the mailbox. One
would think that no birds (or any creatures for that matter) would be active
in this miserable heat. Heading out the door, I saw a phoebe flitting around
the river birch and goldfinches chattering overhead. Blue-gray gnatcatchers
called from the tree tops. Just before descending a hill, I saw a box turtle
(of all things!) scooting across the gravel at top box-turtle speed. Next,
an immature chippy flew into some nearby pines. Trying to get a closer look
at the chipping sparrow, I noticed several other small birds hopping low in
the trees. A very young (and noisy) yellow-throated vireo flew forward to
investigate the stranger. Mom and Dad appeared in the background, throwing
dirty looks my way. Attracted by all the commotion, a black-and-white
warbler and my young male cardinal stopped in for a look. Loading toasty
mail into my arms, I heard a downy whinny. I was halfway back to the house
when two red-eyed vireos appeared and scolded. Before returning into the
cool, I invited my feathered friends in for some ice lemonade and cold
blueberries. Unfortunately, all were too involved in their own busy-bird
activities to notice.

Leah

Leah Campbell
Blackstock, SC