GW Heron vs. G Egret

Regarding the Great White Heron vs. Great Egret question for the bird at Four
Seasons marsh in Hendersonville, I also saw the bird the day it was reported
and also decided it was probably a Great Egret despite the strange leg color.
Everything about the bird - head, neck, bill - other than the leg color, said
Great Egret.  I may be wrong and I would be happy to hear others with more
experience with immature Great White Herons and immature Great Egrets, but the
thing that really put me over the top was seeing another Great Egret the next
day at another location with the same color legs (dark gray/brown).  The only
difference was that this one had one black toe on each foot and, the big
tip-off, it was standing for a while next to a Great Blue Heron and this bird
was considerably smaller than the GB Heron.  Both birds were observed late in
the afternoon/early evening with the low sun showing brightly on them.
Different books give some conflicting info on both birds.   Some say and show
GW Heron legs as yellow, others describe them as gray/buff.  As for immature
Great Egrets, they only say that the legs are duller, whatever that means.

I'd be happy to hear from someone who sees these birds on a more regular basis
and may have a more educated opinion about the odd leg color.

Marilyn Westphal
Hendersonville, NC
Mjwestphal@unca.edu