Litchfield CBC Fall meeting

Okay, here's the scoop on field trips and speakers for the Litchfield meeting.

Meeting Dates:  27 - 28 September 2002

Meeting Hotel Headquarters:  Litchfield Beach & Golf Resort,  phone (843)
237-4221, Carra,  just as Van said.

Speakers:

Friday Night - Dr. Bill Evans, the fellow who "decoded" the nocturnal calls
of the thrushes and, along with Micheal O'Brien, recently published a CD of
the nocturnal calls of variety of nighttime migrants (see <www.oldbird.org>
for more info), will be speaking on nocturnal migration and monitoring
nocturnal migration.  After the evening's meeting, Dr. Evans will be
leading a nocturnal listening field trip.  Come learn about this little
understood aspect of migration monitoring and learn how to find that life
Bicknell's Thrush without ever leaving the state.  But you'll still have to
go to Alaska to hear a Gray-cheeked sing.

Saturday Night - John Cely, who, among his other duties, runs a MAPS
station in Congaree Swamp NM, will be presenting "Hurricane Effects on
Bottomland Hardwood Birds: The Rise and Fall of the Hooded Warbler", a
presentation of some long-term data from Congaree.  Thirteen years ago, a
hurricane called Hugo did some pretty extensive damage to Congaree Swamp,
changing dramatically some of the canopy and understory of the swamp and
affecting the birdlife of the swamp.  It should be an interesting way to
mark the thirteenth anniversary of Hugo's passage through our fair state.

Field Trips

Friday Morning - mid to late morning
  Topography Workshop (no sign-up needed - just show up)

Friday Afternoon - 1:00 PM
  #1 New Road/Conway Sewage Treatment Plant (limited to 25 - no charge)
  #2 Huntington Beach SP
  #3 Bucksport/New Road
  #4 Myrtle Beach SP
  #16 Santee Coastal Preserve

Friday Night - after Friday night's speaker
  Nocturnal Listening (no sign-up needed)

Saturday Morning - 7:00 AM
  #5 North Jetty
  #6 Myrtle Beach SP
  #7 Francis Marion NF
  #8 Sandy Island (limited to 22 - $25 per person)

Saturday Afternoon - 1:00 PM
  #9 Brookgreen Gardens (limited to 40 - $11 per person)
  #10 Huntington Beach SP
  #11 Yawkey Wildlife Center (limited to 12 - no charge)
  #12 Sandy Island (limited to 22 - $25 per person)
  # 17 Pier Watch

Saturday - All Day - 7:00 AM
  #13 Huntington Beach SP
  #14 Lewis Ocean Bay HP
  #15 Francis Marion NF

Giff Beaton, a member of both the South Carolina and Georgia Bird Records
Committee and part of the team that currently holds the national Big Day
record set in Texas recently, will be leading the Topography Workshop.
Educational and fun!

Because of line limitations on posts (are those still in effect, Will?), I
will post field trip descriptions in a separate e-mail to be sent hot on
the heels of this one.

Most of the field trips will be led by local birders and the few that
aren't will be led by birders familiar with the area and the birds.   I
worked to be sure I got a good mix of old classic places, the acknowledged
"good places",  we should go and some places that are underbirded, have
restricted access or require somewhat extraordinary arrangements to get
there.  As usual, I find I need to clone myself during a CBC meeting
because I'd really like to go on at least two of the field trips
simultaneously!

I can be contacted by e-mail to sign up for field trips.  If you prefer, I
can be contacted by phone at (803)996-0960 on Sunday for field trip
reservations.  For field trips with limited numbers of participants, I will
also accept reservations by e-mail.  For field trips that require a deposit
or fee, I will post again in a few days on how that will work.

I hope to see you all there for fall migration in a place that can be
mighty exciting for fall migrants!

Donna

Donna Slyce Bailey
Winnsboro, SC

e-mail: dsbailey@conterra.com

	Where are the Birds?  Migration across South Carolina