Mason Farm birding

Hello everyone,
I spent some time at Mason Farm (Chapel Hill, NC) Sunday morning. In
addition to the regular and expected species, I had great looks at a
lovely female summer tanager and a pair of great crested flycatcher
youngsters, all tufty and big eyed! The mocker population has swelled
appreciably, and there were numerous territorial disputes between
ruby-th. hummers. As I drove by the golf course, there was a great heron
standing fairly close to a great blue...a Kodak moment, but alas no
camera in the car! Curious about the 54 impoundment, I drove over there
to find it nearly dry and very overgrown with plant life. An Eastern
kingbird perched on a snag, a goldfinch was a bright spot on a little
twig, crows flew over, and then, the brilliant white patches on a
red-headed woodpecker.

Happy birding,
Carol Williamson
Durham, NC