no Lazuli Bunting -- Orangeburg shorebirding

Hi C-Birders,

Today Caorline convinced me to drive down to Mary Douglass' house in
Walterboro, SC on the off chance that the Lazuli Bunting might reappear. We
watched from 11:00 AM to 12:30 PM without success. We had a great time
sitting in the warm yard watching goldfinches and Chipping Sparrows. The
tree pollen level in Walterboro was only bad, not terrible as it is in
Columbia.

On our way home we stoped by the Orangeburg sod farms and industrial park
area. The sod farms had very little except for LOTS of singing Horned Larks.
At the Orangburg CIty/County Industrial Park a few rain pools had attracted
a few migrant shorebirds, including

Greater Yellowlegs -- 10
Lesser Yellowlegs -- 2
Solitary Sandpiper -- 1
Pectoral Sandpiper -- 6
Least Sandpiper -- 15

We also had our first Cattle Egrets of the year (sod farms, also Bamberg
County) and our first Broad-winged Hawks (two different birds migrating
north along I-95 in Dorchester County).

Robin Carter
Columbia, SC
rcarter@sc.rr.com