Wrightsville alcids

Dear Carolinabirders:

Lois and I made a mad dash for Wrightsville this morning hoping for one last chance at this years alcid incursion. A very quick stop at the pier found nothing, and Shell Island was unproductive as well, except for the usual terns, oystercatchers and a pair of Wilson's Plovers. The south end did prove fruitful however, as we found one razorbill and one thick-billed murre feeding very close to shore, within a few feet of beach goers wading in the water. Much of the time the birds were to close to use the scope!

Anyone who has not been to Wrighsville in a while may be surprised, as I was, to see NO free parking anywhere on the island. If you go, be prepared for $1.25 an hour to park.

As Steve Schultz noted last week, seeing these birds in such warm weather does create the most curious juxtaposition of bikinis and alcids, however, I assure you all, none of these birds were identified by thong.

Mike Schultz
Durham, NC