Lake Julian/Buncombe County

Folks,
        I checked Lake Julian about 7:00 PM this date and found the
following:
75+ Double-crested Cormorant,   12 Red-breasted Mergansers, and
140+ Common Loons, all but a few in breeding plumage.  The birds were in two
separate rafts of 82 birds and 62 birds, which later joined into one large
raft of Loons. To the best of my knowledge, the previous high number of
Loons ever seen in the mountains was about 78 birds several years ago by
Marilyn Westphal and myself.  To say this was a spectacular sight would be
an understatement.  The interesting thing about the raft was that I never
heard a single call from any of these wonderful birds!
Best regards,
Wayne
Wayne K. Forsythe
Hendersonville, N. C. 28791