Santee Coastal Birding (4-12-03)

Had a chance to bird earlier today at Santee Coastal Reserve in the extreme
northeastern corner of Charleston County, SC.  Had a few "firsts" for the
year for me.  They included Great Crested Flycatcher, Bachman's Sparrow,
Glossy Ibis, Black-necked Stilt and Summer Tanager.  Oddly enough, Glossy
Ibis was possibly the second most numerous bird seen... only to be outdone
by the Tree Swallows.  I'd estimate Glossies outnumbered Whites by at least
15 to 1 with approximately 250 seen.  There were also good numbers of Wood
Storks and at least 75 Black-necked Stilts.  Bachman's Sparrows were singing
primarily from paved road to the "Eldorado Road" sign.  The highlight of the
day may have very well been a group of 21 American White Pelicans soaring
overhead at around 11:00 am.  I later ran into Chris Hill.  He and his
ornithology class were enjoying a field trip and had seen the pelicans as
well.  As we were talking, Chris spotted two more directly above us.  In
all, 76 species were found and included the following....

Anhinga
Red-winged Blackbird
Eastern Bluebird
Northern Cardinal