Cormorant flock over Evergreen Nature Preserve

Saturday morning, 3/12, Louise and I added a new species to the Evergreen
Nature Preserve list in urban Charlotte.  A flock of 55 Double-crested
Cormorants circled overhead at about 10 AM.  Apparently, Susan Ellerman saw
the same or a similar flock over Mint Hill Park, east of Charlotte.

Hermit Thrushes were abundant, but no Wood Thrushes were singing yet.
Blue-headed Vireo and Blue-gray Gnatcatcher are still the only new migrants.
The migrating warblers must be splitting into two groups, one going up the
coast and the other through the mountains.  The first weekend in May is
usually our biggest warbler weekend in Evergreen, but from reports on
CarolinaBirds, it sounds like our big weekend might be a week earlier this
year.

Larry Barden, 1501-G Lansdale Dr., Charlotte, NC, 28205, 704-535-6385,
Larry@LBarden.com