CBC Colorado trip update

Folks:	For those curious how your friends/fellow CBCers are doing on the
CO Grouse trip, which began Tuesday -- I got a call at 7:30 this morning
(yes, 5:30 am CO time) from Derb Carter, the trip leader. He was picking
my brain where we had the Pinyon Jays and Lewis' Woodpeckers, as this is
the day 2 years ago when we had them.

Well, CO has gotten a lot of snow recently, so Guanella Pass was
unreachable. Thus, the group did not have White-tailed Ptarmigan yet,
and it looks bleak for later in the trip. They did get all 3
rosy-finches, Greater Sage-Grouse, and Sharp-tailed Grouse. We had all
these and the ptarmigan 2 years ago. But, they did see a Chukar, which
we missed. But, we'll gladly take a native ptarmigan to an introduced
Chukar most any time.

This morning they are headed to the Gunnison Sage-Grouse spot, then east
to lodging late in the day, for Lesser Prairie-Chicken tomorrow, then on
the Greater P-C Saturday morning. Derb didn't say if they had run into
Blue Grouse yet.
--
Harry LeGrand
NC Natural Heritage Program