Odd Swallow behavior

"Here's what seemed strange to us last year. We watched a half
dozen of these birds fly around this area numerous times last spring. We would watch as they flew into the tail pipes of the parked
school buses. One or two began building nests inside them.
Is this unusual for a Martin to do?"

I have seen Rough Winged Swallows doing much the same thing in the undercarriage of trailers parked at various places in Western NC. They seem to equate the holes and crevices in the underside of the trailers with banks of streams.
My first question; is this near a water source (stream, pond, etc.?). If so, it might be Roughies, not PM's.

--
The Appalachian Naturalist
Asheville, NC