Red-breasted Mergansers in Richmond Co, NC

Folks,

Not sure if this sighting was rare or nor, but it seemed out of place for sure. In the Sandhills Game Lands today I pulled up to a large lake in Richmond County and 2 female Red-breasted Mergansers were not 30 foot away in the water. I got great looks then one flew out further in the lake the other swam out further.

Also had a close encounter with a COTTON MOUTH that was lying along the edge of the road. It saw me approach and it reared up and put on quite a mean display of white (cotton) mouth as well as rattled its tail profusely. I took photos from 6 foot away not wanting to test its meanness. This guy had a BAD attitude! see 3 photos at http://public.fotki.com/rlephoto/snakes/

Over 20 species of butterflies were seen.

Also before I left the house I had a male Wood Duck fly up from the pond and onto a oak limb at the edge of the woods.

Randy Emmitt
Butterflies Found In North Carolina Online
http://www.rlephoto.com/butterflies/butterflies.html
Coming soon an interactive CD The Butterflies of NC, SC, VA and WV