Western Tanager

    Several people e-mailed me and ask that I post if I saw the bird
again. After a couple days lapse, I'm happy to report that he is still
here! I watched him for over a half hour this morning in a near by pine
tree. He put on quite a show; sometimes acting like fly-catcher and
swooping out to catch bugs. Other times more like a warbler flitting
from limb to limb. He is also apparently very territorial as while I
watched he chased two doves, a cardinal, a brown thrasher and a scarlet
tanager out of his favorite tree!
    He's been here six days now. Any chance he' going to spend the
summer?
Ken Yount
Wentworth, N.C.