Henslow's Sparrow still present

I stopped at the Butler Farm field this morning on a cloudy, drizzly day and
found the Henslow's singing again (such as it is).  This time, however, I
actually saw the bird.  It was far up near the ridgeline sitting in a clump of
yellow-flowered weeds.  Alas, even with the highest power of my scope I could
only be absolutely certain that it was a sparrow.  It had its back to me, but
moved its head around while singing and I could see it was singing that song,
i.e. the head went back when the Henslow's song was heard.  It kept it up for
quite a while, then flew out of the weeds and I didn't here it again.  I
imagine it will probably stick around until tomorrow as the weather forecast
is pretty ugly for today and tonight.  I'll check again then and hope to get a
better view of the chest, flanks, and head.

I also saw a Grasshopper Sparrow hopping along the road edge near some
Savannah Sparrows near where the road ends at the fence.  The Grasshopper
never sang.  Also got my first Blue Grosbeak for the year over on Ladson Road.
 Then it was back to work.
Marilyn

Marilyn Westphal
Environmental Quality Institute