Huntington Beach and field guides

Went to Huntington Beach in search of the roseate spoonbill and razorbills I've read about recently. Saw neither. But saw scores of gannets, who I thought would be gone, painted bunting at the feeder at the education center, plus many wading birds in breeding plumage and acting like it (snowy egrets jumping up and bumping chests.) Most ducks are gone, just in time, because the alligators are all out and moving around. My sister went along, but is currently hobbled up with a broken heel bone. So we dropped her off and parked the car. Took her field guide out, put it on the roof of the car and forgot it. Realized it was lost about 5 miles later, at our hotel. I drove back to look for it, started telling the gentleman at the check-in where you pay, and he said, "Pull over, you've got something stuck in your luggage carrier." It was the field guide, ruffled but fine. We now all have names and contact information in our field guides, and are in the process of transferring all information to other safe places.

Mary Capers Bledsoe

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Joyce [mailto:tominbrevard@webtv.net]
Sent: Friday, April 25, 2003 10:12 AM
To: Burnetted@aol.com
Cc: carolinabirds@duke.edu
Subject: Re: Field Guide Found

C'Birders,
Dennis's posting underscores the importance of placing your name,
address, and phone number in each of your field guides, so that you''ll
have a chance of recovery in the event of loss.

Several years ago, I placed a guide on the top of my car while scoping a
raptor. After replacing my scope in the car I drove off, oblivious to
the fact that the book was on the roof. That afternoon, before I had
missed the guide, I received a call from the local telephone company
advising me that one of their crews had found my book on the side of the
road.

The moral--check your guides right now to be certain that they do
contain id info.

Tom Joyce
Brevard, NC