Re: Durham Count

Spring Birders,

My wife Cathy Jaggars and I joined Captain Hal Currey in his
boat Sunday for a slice of the Charleston Spring Count.
We ran up the waterway from Dewees to the north end of Bulls, then over to
Bulls to check the ponds and look at the ocean.

HIGHLIGHTS:

Painted Buntings on Bulls, males chasing each other
and singing a lot.

A Bald Eagle sitting on a channel marker

A Screech Owl singing at 1200 on Bulls.

Shorebirds! Black-necked Stilts and both Yellowlegs, Marbled Godwits, tons
of SB Dowitchers, Dunlin,
Whimbrels, SemiP Plovers, BB Plovers, Oystercatchers.

Bobolink, Black-thoated Green Warbler, Eastern Kingbird, Orchard Orioles,
Red-headed Woodies
all in the Bulls picnic area.

Bulls getting green again, young pines growing up where the old ones were
killed by Hurricane Hugo (1989).

The water levels at Bulls are great in the ponds, if you have ever wanted to
go now is the time.

Steve Compton
Summerville,SC
scompton@sc.rr.com