Bear Island WMA and Dungannon HP

On Monday, 4-28 Ed Blitch, Mimi Dias, David Armstrong
and I birded Bear Island WMA in Colleton County, SC
followed by Dungannon Heritage Preserve near
Hollywood, SC.

Partial list / highlights:

BEAR ISLAND- (water was too high for good waders &
shorebirds)
Black Tern
White & Glossy Ibis
Anhinga
Least Bittern
Bald Eagle
Yellow-throated Vireo (2 males settling a territorial
dispute)
Bobolink
Painted Bunting (at least a dozen singing males)
Seaside Sparrow
King Rail (Just over Bear Island Bridge.  1 ran across
road while 1 posed in road for minutes)

In the Herp dept. we had multiple bellowing Bull
Alligators.  It made us take an involuntary step back
from the water at one point.

DUNGANNON-
Wood Stork (several dozen birds building nests,
turning eggs, gathering cypress needle bedding)
Acadian Flycatcher
Hairy Woodpecker
Wood Thrush (seemingly everywhere)
YB Cuckoo
Yellow-throated, White-eyed and Red-eyed Vireos
Black-and-white Warbler
Hooded Warbler (4)
Prothonotary Warbler (7)
other usual Warblers