Re: Scopes and Bear Island addendum

They must have changed the mount on the new
Swarovskis.  I have an AT-65HD that I've had a year or
so and I haven't had problems - even on hiking trips
with lots of hills, hefting and unhefting, etc.  There
is a flip-up ring on the bottom of the plate that one
can use to easily tighten every few months if it
loosens a tad.  No problem atall.

I have tried just about every other waterproof (non
Celestron style) scope and the new Swarovskis blow
them away.  As for AT-65(HD) versus AT-80HD, I can't
notice enough difference to justify the extra weight
of the AT-80.  Everyone who tries this scope
(including owners of  Leica, Zeiss, Nikon, B&L, etc)
raves about it.  The HD glass is a must.

One comment on someone's post about carbon fiber
tripods:  a buddy of mine dropped a thermos
corner-first on his folden bogen (manfrotto? Gotzo?)
in his car trunk and dented/crunched it.  I think they
are more susceptible to ding damage than aluminum
tripods.

Nathan Dias - Charleston, SC

PS We also had lots of Black-necked Stilts the other
day at Bear Island - forgot to mention it.