Re: migrating Rose-breasted Grosbeaks observations

Mike and C-birders,
      I have had Rose-breasted Grosbeaks stay in my yard
for extended periods this spring and also last spring.
     I have seen males first both years, this year 2 days prior to
seeing females, and last year 5 days prior to seeing females.
     The last bird seen LAST year was a male, and he was present
for at least four days, because he had some out of the ordinary
white feathering on his cheek that let me pick him out as an
individual.
     This year's last birds seen were both a male and a female together.
      I'm not sure if they migrate in small flocks for their entire migration,
but they seem to congregate in groups of @ 3-8 birds, and not quite
50:50 male/female ratio.  (At least in my yard.)
I'm wondering if the small groups could be family units,
because there are some younger males (some brown feathering),
as well as adult males and females in these groups.
     I've just recounted the dates for this spring and last.
4/23/2002 - 5/12/2002   20 days!!
4/25/2003 - 5/7/2003
     It was really nice hearing their song, and also heard the squeaky
tennis shoe call that Sandy Cash had mentioned, but in addition heard
a burrier call note that was reminiscent of a shortened Great-crested
Flycatcher call note.  Also, seeing the males in flight near the feeder was
enjoyable with their unique black and white patterns.
Shelley Theye

> From: "Mike Sollins" <msollins@nc.rr.com>
> Date: 2003/05/09 Fri AM 10:40:53 EDT
> To: <carolinabirds@duke.edu>
> Subject: Re:  what is this bird?
>
> Having just enjoyed, for the first time, RB Grosbeaks at my feeder I'm
> inclined to agree.   But this reminds my that I had been wondering
> about their migration habits - maybe someone can enlighten me...
>
> I saw a male first, around 4/28.  Then over a few days they increased
> to where I had 3 M and 2 F in view at one point.   I last saw a M
> around 5/3 and last saw a F a couple of days ago.   So, two questions:
> do they typically migrate in small flocks?  and do they males
> typically travel ahead of the females?   Just wondering....
>
> Mike Sollins
> Raleigh, NC

Shelley Theye
N. Chatham County, NC