Ring-billed Gull numbers at Falls Lake, NC

C-birders:

Ring-billed Gulls first appeared on a Durham (NC) Spring Count in 1983 when 100 birds were reported from the newly filled Falls Lake Reservoir. Through 1999 these birds were consistently reported in triple digit numbers, with peaks of 610 in 1988, and 475 in 1996. Since 2000 however, their numbers have been 13, 7, 52, and 25 respectively on Durham Spring Counts.

I suppose these birds may be leaving our area for breeding grounds else ware, but why did they suddenly start doing this in 2000, and not in the previous 17 years?

Does anyone have any theories as to what is going on here?

Mike Schultz,
Durham, NC