Green Swamp threatened by proposed interstate! (fwd)

Dear Carolinabirders,

A friend from the NC Wildflower Preservation Society shared the below with
me. The Green Swamp is home to Red-cockaded Woodpeckers, Bachman's
Sparrows, and Swainson's Warblers. It has the highest known genus-level
diversity of carnivorous plants (Venus' Flytrap, sundews, pitcher plants,
etc.) in the *WORLD*! It also hosts several species of orchids and other
plants, Black Bears, Brimley's Chorus Frogs, Elfin Skimmers (the smallest
dragonfly in the US), just fascinating life of all sorts. The rare birds
and plants probably attract more visitors from further away than anything
else in the region that doesn't have a beach.

The interstate route reportedly proposed by Governor Easley runs right
through the middle of The Nature Conservancy's preserve there; assuming
that the interstate would be significantly wider than NC 211, a wide swath
of the preserve paralleling the road would be trashed. Given how much of
the coastal plain has been degraded into species-poor Loblolly Pine
plantations, quarries, low-profit agriculture, and the rest, building an
interstate through one of the few remaining intact ecosystems is
irresponsible. I'm skeptical of economic arguments; an interstate will
just expedite people's whizzing heedlessly from Piedmont to the beach, and
a degraded TNC preserve will lessen the already anemic flow of tourists to
the interior. And given how stubborn NCDOT has been about making their
developments here in the Triangle (Eno Drive, the 15-501 New Hope Creek
bridge) less environmentally damaging, the best idea is to stop this plan
before it ever reaches them.

Call or write to the governor, to Rep. McIntyre (especially if you're in
his district), and to anyone else who might have sway over this bad idea.
First public hearing is May 23 in Wilmington; I'll relay news of others if
I hear about them.

Joshua S. Rose
Duke University
Department of Biology (Zoology, R.I.P.)