Re: birding buddies

Leah,

Here are a few tips on finding your target birds:

Least Bittern -- fairly common summer resident of fresh water marshes near
the coast; less common in brackish and salt marshes. Try Bear Island,
Savannah NWR, Santee Coastal Preserve, or Magnolia Gardens.

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron -- fairly common and wide spread. Look along
rivers at dusk, or along the coast (such as Washington Park along Meeting
Street in Charleston).  I see them by going to the US 601 bridge over the
Congaree River at dusk. This species is even in the Piedmont.

Sandhill Crane -- the closest breeding cranes are at Okeefenoke NWR in
Georgia. This is an easy overnight trip from central SC.

Common Ground-Dove -- wide spread but hard to find. Try at the Orangeburg
sod farms or at the feeder at Huntington Beach State Park. I recently saw a
ground dove in a neighborhood at the south end of Pawley's Island. Harbor
Island near Beaufort is a good place to look, if you know a resident who
will get you on the island.

Black-billed Cuckoo -- this is a really rare breeder in South Carolina, and
is also tough to find in North Carolina. Good luck on this one. This species
migrates state-wide, even along the coast. Try Jackson Park in
Hendersonville.

Common Nighthawk -- easy to find near downtown Columbia or downtown
Greenville at dusk. Also in the pineywoods, such as Carolina Sandhills NWR,
where it is fairly common. This one is fairly easy to find.

Red-cockaded Woodpeckers -- try Francis Marion NF or the Santee Coastal
Preserve or Carolina Sandhills NWR. Once you locate an active roost tree
wait until dusk and the birds will come in.

Blue-headed Vireo -- fairly common breeder in the SC mountains and not too
hard to find in mature pines in the Piedmont. In the Piedmont try the Sumter
NF in Chester County. I find some last summer in the northern part of
Carolina Sandhills NWR. If you know the song this species is fairly easy to
find. It is also found at Harbison State Forest, and many other places in
the Piedmont. Easy at Caesar's Head.

Blue-winged Warbler -- does not breed in SC that I know of, but is a fairly
common migrant.

Yellow Warbler -- breeds in SC near streams in the foothills. Try near
Townville in Anderson County. A common migrant. Much more common in NC.

Chestnut-sided Warbler -- a very rare breeder at Caesar's Head (near the
overlook). This species is very common along the Blue Ridge Parkway. If you
want to have fun with this species take a day trip up to the Parkway, where
you can find Cerulean Warblers as well.

Cerulean Warbler -- very rare in SC. Go to the Blue Ridge Parkway, or better
yet, West Virginia.

Blackburnian Warbler -- probably does not breed in SC. Try the Pink Beds in
Pisgah NF or other high altitude places in NC.

Black-throated Green Warbler -- fairly common along streams in the SC
mountains. Hike around Ceasar's Head and listen. This species is fairly
common in parts of estern NC but it has become almost impossible to find in
the SC Coastal Plain. Look for hemlocks and white pines in the mountains.

Blackpoll Warbler -- common spring migrant in SC. I have found them even in
early June. More easily found in town than out in the country, for some
reason. If you REALLY want to see a LOT of Blackpoll Warblers, visit
Newfoundland in June or early July. In some places it is the most common
breeding warbler.

Worm-eating Warbler -- fairly common in the SC mountains; rare along the
coast. Try the trails near Caesar's Head or Sassafras Mountain. This species
is a common fall migrant.

American Redstart -- breeds locally in the mountains and also a few along
rivers in the Piedmont and the Coastal Plain. A rare breeder at Congaree
Swamp NM, along the River Trail near the Congaree River. Also breeds along
the Santee River and many other places. More common in NC.

Swainson's Warbler -- fairly common in the mountains and in the coastal
plain. There are a lot at Congaree Swamp NM. In the mountains look along
streams. Try the Blue Wall Preserve near Landrum. This is a fairly easy
species to hear in the Coastal Plain, but not so common very near the coast.
Look for thickets in the Sandhills. There are a few in the Piedmont, such as
along the Broad River in Union or Chester Counties (Sumter NF). It takes a
bit of patience to actually SEE a Swainson's Warbler, but if you take your
time on the high boardwalk at Congaree Swamp NM you will be rewarded.

Kentucky Warbler -- most common along streams in the Piedmont. Also common
at Congaree Swamp NM. Take an early morning walk along the entrance road at
Congaree Swamp NM. Another good spot is the trail around the beaver pond at
40 Acre Rock HP in Lancaster County.

Grasshopper Sparrow -- fairly common in hay fields in the Piedmont; a few in
the Coastal Plain. Try back roads in northern Spartanburg or Laurens
Counties. I like Bush River Road and side roads between Clinton and Newberry
for this species. Widespread, but not really common.

Bobolink -- does not breed in SC; rare breeder in NC. Common migrant. Try
near the Orangeburg sod farms in the fall.

Baltimore Oriole -- rare breeder in SC. More common in winter along the
coast. Try Magnolia Garderns in winter. Common breeder along streams in West
Virginia. Rare, but possible, in NC.

Robin Carter
Columbia, SC
rcarter@sc.rr.com