Dead Babies! Klumsy Kidnappers?

On a 2km walking route this morning, I counted a dozen altricial, totally
featherless birdyoung DOR (dead on the road).  This must be a small part of
the total nestling dead that aren't as easily seen in the adjacent
shoulders, scrub, lawns, and woods. Since these babies obviously didn't walk
to their final resting places, I must assume that they were dropped from
above.  After predatory birds (Jays, Grackles, Crows, etc.) napped the
kiddies, they either dropped them or lost them in an aerial contest with
another predator. My question is this: Why are the droppees not recovered or
assumed by other predatory birds?  I know that this is the height of the
mating/nesting season, and that the casualties are to be expected and
more-than-made-up-for by nestling numbers and multi-brooding. But, I do not
recall seeing dead nestlings in such great numbers before, and I have been
caused to wonder at the source of the apparition.

BTW, is anyone else experiencing great numbers (greater than in past years)
of Brown Thrashers and House Wrens?

ALSO, I witnessed a female Brown-headed Cowbird chasing/harassing a Grackle.
Because such harassment is not-at-all uncommon, it took a few moments for
identity of the chaser to sink in.  What is a BHCO protecting?  Certainly
not her own nest...

Cheers!
Tomm "naughty boy" Lorenzin
Mooresville (Lake Norman), NC