Painted Bunting Trip

On Saturday, Greenville (NC) River Park North Bird Club had their first
field trip in their Target Bird Program.  The bird targeted on this trip
was the painted bunting.  We were successful in finding a painted
bunting at our third stop at Ft. Macon State Park.  The male bunting
stayed still long enough so that everyone was able to see the bird
through spotting scopes.

Randy Newman, a ranger at Ft. Macon, took the group to the sound side of
Ft. Macon which is closed to the public this time of year.  This area
contained the nesting sites of birds such as willets and Wilson's
plovers.  It was in this area that we saw the painted bunting.

We saw a total of 57 species.  Some of the other notable birds that we
saw besides the painted bunting included:

Anhinga
Wilson's Plover
Oystercatcher
Short-billed Dowitcher (one in breeding plumage)
Gull-billed Tern
Sandwich Tern
Black Skimmer
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Chick-will's-widow
Orchard Oriole

Our next field trip in our Target Bird Program will be Sunday, June 15th
at 7 a.m. at River Park North in Greenville.  Our target bird will be
the yellow-billed cuckoo.

Ginny Kloepfer
Greenville, NC
kloepfer@greenvillenc.com