Decline of the Black-throated Green Warbler in the Croatan National Forest

Recently I read Robin Carter's mention that the Black-throated Green
Warbler is now scarce as a breeder in the Coastal Plain of South
Carolina.

I have noticed that in recent years nesting Black-throated Greens have
declined in numbers (or at least in range) within the Croatan National
Forest.  In the last few years, almost all of my records (or ones I've
heard of) have been in the vicinity of the large lakes--Catfish, Great,
Long, Ellis) where habitat is more extensive.  I've had very few records
in more peripheral areas where habitat is more marginal (presumably) and
less extensive.

I assume that nesting Black-throated Green Warblers are still common on
the Dare County mainland.

John Fussell
Morehead City, NC
jfuss@clis.com

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses by Cape Lookout Mail Server]