cedar waxwing nest in Jones Co, NC

This morning, Friday June 6, I ran my BBS route in Jones County
in eastern NC.  At one of my stops along Wyse Fork Rd, I happened
to notice some movement along a mid-story limb of a large pine tree
directly across the road in front of me.  It turned out to be a
Cedar Waxwing.  It proceeded to move along the limb a few feet and
exchanged something with another waxwing that appeared to be huddled
down into what I took to be a nest.  The second waxwing was the same
size as the first so I took it that I had seen a pair with the second
adult sitting on a nest.  A kingbird chased the first bird away, but
the second bird stayed put on the nest.

I couldn't stay long in order to proceed with my route.  I don't
recall hearing of any waxwing nesting this far east.  It was right
on the corner of Claude Banks Rd and Wyse Forks Rd (SR1002--or
what I have always called the Ten Mile Fork Rd, Clancy).

Cheers-

Wade Fuller
New Bern, NC