Eurasian Collared-Dove versus Ringed Turtle-Dove

Sometime in the past, Will Cook posted some pictures of specimens of new
or rare species in North Carolina.  These pictures can still be seen at
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/museumbirds.html

Included in these pictures is a picture of a bird identified as a Ringed
Turtle-Dove with an accompanying explanation as to why the bird is not a
Eurasian Collared-Dove.  The explanation about the outer web does seem
to be accurate, but I am bothered by the fact that the overall
appearance of the underside of the tail looks just like the
collared-doves that are becoming common these days.  I realize that the
lighting may not be perfect in the picture, and that part of the
undertail is obscured by the tag.  However, I still am bothered by this
picture.  Is anyone else puzzled by this picture?--compare to Sibley.

John Fussell
Morehead City, NC
jfuss@clis.com

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses by Cape Lookout Mail Server]