RFI L. Mattamuskeet

Carolina Birders:

It has been many years since I have done any serious birding at Lake
Mattamuskeet (other than a brief stopovers on the way home from the Outer Banks) and
would appreciate input from those who have been there relatively recently. I am
planning a Piedmont Bird Club trip for one of the holidays in fall or winter.
Here are my questions:

Which time period would be likely to yield the most interesting species,
Thanksgiving weekend (November 27-30), Martin Luther King Holiday weekend (January
17-19), or Easter Weekend (April 9-11)?

There was a somewhat rough motel near the refuge for years. Is it still open?
What other lodging nearby is likely to be available for a group of about 10?

I recall only one restaurant near Lake Mattamuskeet. I don't remember the
name but it was near the end of the causeway. Are there other restaurants nearby?

Do you have any other advice about birding at or near Lake Mattamuskeet?

Thanks for your help. As a token of my appreciation, I have pasted below a
list of Easter dates through 2010 for all those who like to plan ahead.

Dennis

Dennis Burnette
Field Trips Chairman
Piedmont Bird Club