re: hummers departure/nesting???

ROB . . .

Male Ruby-throated Hummingbirds don't help with nest-building, so
your friend's observation is quizzical. (These hummers also don't
"pair," since males usually have more than one mate; males also don't
tend to the nests, eggs, or chicks.)

It's almost certainly too late for nesting success at this time (1
September); it takes about six weeks to lay eggs and fledge the
young, and there would be a major risk to attempt nesting at this
time of year.

Is the friend sure the birds aren't grabbing spiders that may be
dragging a line of silk? Hummers are eating insects and spiders like
crazy right now as they build up fat reserves for migration.

By the way, all of my summer resident hummingbirds here at Hilton
Pond have taken off, but new birds are coming in each day. Today, for
example, I banded four new Ruby-throated Hummingbirds--all young
males--although I did also see an adult male that didn't enter the
traps.

Best wishes,

BILL

**************

> A friend reported to me that for the last 2 days a pair of hummers
>(male and female) have repeatedly flown to their porch and pulled
>thin strands from a macrame plant hanger and flown off with it as if
>nest-building. I assume it's impossible hummers would be nesting
>this late, but does anyone have a clue what such behavior would be
>for? Can it be preparatory to migration in some way?
>
>**Rob Gluck    Chapel Hill    thrush@hotmail.com

*******

BILL HILTON JR.
"The Piedmont Naturalist"
Hilton Pond
1432 DeVinney Road
York, South Carolina 29745
USA

Consultant and speaker on science education, teacher training, and
natural history

voice: (803) 684-5852
fax: (803) 684-5852 (call first)
e-mail: bhilton@infoave.net

"Never trust a person too lazy to get up for sunrise or too busy to
watch the sunset."