nighthawks in asheville

Tuesday night at the Asheville Tourists' game on the edge of downtown
Asheville, I observed as many as 5 nighthawks at once.  They showed up well
after dark.

The Tourists' final night game of the season is Monday at 7 p.m., but I
didn't notice the birds the other night until well along in the game.
Maybe there are banks of lights elsewhere in town worth checking.

A few years ago over Labor Day weekend, Esther and I spotted a constant
stream of nighthawks flying west at dusk over east Asheville.  As I recall
we counted about 200 in half an hour, all silent.

len pardue/asheville, nc (eljeep@mindspring.com)