SC birding

Friday, we finally got away for a few hours and checked out Bear Island and
Donnelly.  We saw several white pelicans, black terns, glossy ibis, both
greater and lesser yellow legs plus the usual egrets and herons.  A
beautiful bald eagle soared overhead then a red-tailed hawk screamed into
view.  It was a pleasant birding afternoon - a 'welcome back' to birding
after a summer filled with turtles and house guests and then hurricane
warnings!

 Next, we would like to see the Western Grebe so hope someone closer to it
sees it again after this Labor Day weekend.  It is about 225 miles away so
would hate to make the all day trip if it has left.  I seem to have deleted
all the early messages because I was sure it would not stay around for us .
(We do not have good luck finding rarities.)  Anyway, at which end of the
lake was it found?  According to Robin Carter's book, there is access to
both ends, so we would like to know where to start looking.
Thanks, Judy

George & Judy Halleron
Harbor Island, Beaufort Co. SC
geojudy@islc.net