Wild Turkeys on Lake Norman, NC

Imagine my surprise to find and hear 6 female WTs lining the no. shore deep
in the first westbound cove north of the Hwy 150 bridge (about 500m no. of
the bridge, just past the skimmer dam).  I approached (by boat) at idle
speed, slowed to a stop and turned off the engine about 40m from the birds
so as not to spook the birds.  They were not spooked, and they appeared to
be curious about me.  After about 7-8 minutes of mutual examination, they
flew - one-at-a-time - across the cove to the so. shore (about 30m over
water), and calmly disappeared into the thick woods lining the shore.  One
sounded off for me as she flew.

I had previously seen WTs at the Cowans Ford WR on Mountain Island Lake so.
of Lake Norman.  This is my first Lake Norman sighting.  The land is heavily
forested and posted, owned by Duke Power Co. as part of the nearby Marshall
Steam Plant property, (my guess).

	7;^)
	Tom "le dilettante maudit" Lorenzin
	Davidson (Lake Norman), NC