Yellow-bellied Sapsucker and Philadelphia Vireo in Sumter Co., SC 3 Oct 1999

    With Lex Glover's Red-breasted Nuthatches and Donna Bailey's
Ruby-crowned Kinglets, I guess our winter residents are starting to arrive.
I had at least one Yellow-bellied Sapsucker today in Sumter Co.  I also had
4 American Kestrels and a Philadelphia Vireo.  I distinguished the vireo
from the similar Tennessee Warbler by the vireo's shorter, thicker,
stubbier bill;  the vireo's undertail coverts were yellow, as opposed to
the white undertail coverts of a Tennessee Warbler;  the vireo had a
darker, thicker eye line (compared to what I've seen on Tennessee's) that
extended through the lores.  The vireo was washed below with yellow, much
like one would expect a Tennessee to be, but the previously mentioned
yellow undertail coverts distinguished the vireo from a Tennessee.
    Lastly, I had two Ovenbirds today.  One was an adult feeding a
fledgling!

Mike Turner
Columbia, S.C.
teebird@mindspring.com