Red-headed Woodpeckers

Carolinabirders:
An event of local interest here in the Tryon area of western NC is the
current influx of Red-headed Woodpeckers. During fall migration, we normally
see 1-2 per week as they fly south, but yesterday (7 October), there were at
least 10 on the FENCE property alone. The "flocks" consisted of both adults
and immatures.
Also we have small flocks of Cape May Warblers feeding on aphids in the elm
trees, and returning Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers and Ruby-crowned Kinglets.
Time to fly south!
Simon

Simon Thompson
Ventures, Inc. Birding & Natural History Tours
PO Box 1095, Skyland, NC 28776
Phone/Fax: 828.859.0382
simon@teleplex.net
WWW.birdventures.com