Orange Co.

Today I heard a broad-winged hawk periodically through the day near our house, and had a pair of
pileateds.  On my bike ride around 5:30, a kingfisher perched over a pond, while a g. blue heron
flew up and landed in a tall pine, where it sat in full view and watched me.  Lastly, I came to a
mostly-bare tree that had nearly a dozen species perched or flitting about.  They ranged from a crow
to something kinglet-size.  A pair of mockingbirds selectively chased only a pair of flickers.  A
pair of downy wp's repeatedly flew out to bag bugs in the air, and flew back to perch.  I've never
before seen wp's flycatching.

Janine Perlman
Hillsborough, NC
jpandjf@ix.netcom.com