Re: Lesser Black-backeds at The Point!

Susan Campbell wrote:

> Dear All,
> The big highlight was finding *29* Lesser Black-backed Gulls at The Point
> and along South Beach with Pat Moore on Sun. the 10th.  Most were adults (2
> with pink legs) but we had some immatures as well.  What helped, I think,
> was that there were about 3,000 Greaters on the beach for us to sift
> through.  Pat told me that there were actually 16 Lessers in the Campground
> following Floyd a month ago.  Oddly on Saturday, we did not find one Lesser
> when we drove the beach for the first time but then there were very few
> gulls around.  On Sunday, they seemed to be simply lazing on the beach
> since the weather was so warm, the air so calm and bait fish plentiful
> close to shore.  We got very close to the 12 or so groups of birds and with
> the eary morning light, visibility was excellent.  Outside of the Lesers
> and Greaters, there were not many other gulls around yet (not
> surprisingly).  Quite a few Laughing Gulls do remain though.

  A very nice number indeed.  Brings back a lot of fond memories.

  Whether they will all stay the winter is unclear, since this is the
time of peak numbers in the Northeast.  That is, many of the birds will
probably migrate on farther south.  It would be neat to have them all
banded so we could find out!

Bob Lewis
Sleepy Hollow NY
rlewis@murray.fordham.edu