help with possible identification

Dear Carolinabirders:

	I would like to ask the experts for their opinion(s) on a possible
identification of a bird I observed about 4:30 p.m. Monday, 11 October,
flying across Highway 15-501 at the intersection of Highway 54 in Chapel
Hill.  The bird was quite large, flew with its long neck and legs fully
extended, seemed to be a slow, strong flyer, and held its wings in a W
position.  Unfortunately, it was silhouetted against the sky so no
contrasting colors cold be seen.  Watching it, I was reminded of a stork,
crane or ibis.  I wonder if anyone else saw this bird and got a better
look at it and what the probability would be that it might have been one
of these three species.  Thanks a lot.

Lucretia Kinney
Chapel Hill, NC