American Avocets at Beaver Lake in Asheville

Tim Lewis was kind enough to leave a phone message for me this afternoon
telling me he had found 5 American Avocets in the shallow (east) end of
Beaver Lake. He said he wouldn't be able to get on line until this evening
-- so I'm posting this message as quickly as possible.

 I dashed on over there a little after 5 p.m. and got good looks at the
birds from the new boardwalk overlook in Beaver Lake Bird Sanctuary.
Wonder how often avocets have been seen in the mountains of WNC?  Fall
color is moving toward a peak just now, too.

The sanctuary is on the west side of Merrimon Avenue about 2 miles north of
I-240.  Just look for stone pillars on the left after you pass Ingle's
supermarket.

Scads of Yellow-rumped Warblers and Ruby-crowned Kinglets in the Sanctuary,
and Tim reported seeing Green-winged Teal among the many coot.  A male Wood
Duck and a female Red-breasted Merganser were also on the lake.

cheers/

Leonard Pardue, Asheville, NC