Waterfowl and Grandfather Mtn.

        We decided to go to Grandfather Mountain this morning.  On our way
there we stopped at a couple boat accesses on Lake Hickory.  At Oxford
access we had 48 Gadwall, 32 Ring-necked Ducks, and 2 Pied-billed Grebes.
Dusty Ridge access had a nice assortment including 1 Pintail, 14 Lesser
Scaup, 18 American Wigeon, 2 Pied-billed Grebes, 1 Ring-billed Gull, 10
American Coots, and there was also 1 Red-breasted Nuthatch in the pine trees
around the access.
      On the Blue Ridge Parkway, we stopped by Bass Lake at Mosses Cone Park
and had 6 Ring-necked Ducks ,1 female Scaup species and 1 Pied-billed Grebe.
      Birding on Grandfather Mtn. wasn't the best do to the cold(23 degrees
and -20 degree wind chill) and the wind(50-55 mph).  Most birds were around
the feeders at the museum.  There were many Juncos, Red-breasted and
White-breasted Nuthatches, Titmice, Chickadees, and 1 female Purple Finch.

Dwayne & Lori Martin
Foothills Bird Club
Claremont, NC
dlmartin@twave.net