Re: Ebenezer and OHVF, Jordan Lake, NC

In a message dated 10/30/99 4:07:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jsr6@duke.edu
writes:

> OHVF was a slightly scary place to visit today, as there were a number of
>  hunters around. Fortunately, all were bow-hunters, who seem to be a
>  little more responsible and less reckless and alcohol-prone than many of
>  their gun-toting bretheren. Maybe arrows cost more than bullets. One of
>  them warned us that next week is muzzle-loading shotgun season, and that
>  the real guns are allowed the following week; better bird that area only
>  on Sundays for a while... This same hunter said he was at OHVF last year
>  when one hunter was shot and killed by another one. We made su
 Josh : Some of us who used to hunt, and some may still, do not appreciate
your anti hunting diatribe. It is hunting money that pays for most of our
favorite birding spots, and unless you are one of the very few birders that
buys either a duck stamp, or (shudder) a hunting license, you are getting a
free ride from the gun and bow crowd. So lighten up on the hunters, and thank
God for them, for without them no WMA. or NWR"s.
Peter Worthington, Simpsonville, SC. (bpworthing@aol.com)