Subject: conservation funding
Jim Ozier <jim_ozier@MAIL.DNR.STATE.GA.US>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 09:20:55 -0500

Here is the latest on the CARA conservation funding mechanism.  Please
read and act quickly!  Thank you.

Jim Ozier
Georgia DNR
Forsyth, Georgia

From:      Naomi Edelson
To:        EPD-TT.SMTP("teaming@sso.org")
Date:      11/5/99 1:09pm
Subject:   CARA ACTION ALERT

To All: Included in this email in the text and as attachments are three
things. 1) Action Alert, 2) List of House Resource Committee Members with
their tel, fax and email, and 3) email list in full of committee members =
pull right into your email database.

GO GET 'EM!

**************PLEASE CIRCULATE WIDELY*******************

Action Alert

IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUESTED

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!

The House Resources Committee is planning to mark-up CARA next Wednesday,
Nov. 10! This is the moment we've been waiting for! Congratulations to
Team Teaming!

This is our chance to thank members of the Resources Committee who
support CARA, reaffirm their support for the vote and ask for the support
of those that are still uncommitted. Getting the bill out of committee
with a strong vote of support is our immediate goal.  When this happens
there are probably enough votes to pass it on the floor.

Most of the issues that have kept CARA bottled up have been resolved.
Chairman Don Young and Ranking Democrat George Miller are anxious to move
ahead. We're at the critical juncture we've glimpsed for months on the
horizon. Now is the time to harness our collective energy and push CARA
over the hump.

The wildlife title remains rather noncontroversial but it can not move
without the rest of the bill.  Unfortunately a handful of property rights
groups that primarily oppose additional Federal land acquisition as part
of Title II have vowed to defeat CARA during mark-up.

Unless we express our support for CARA as loudly and passionately as
these very vocal activist groups, we may lose critical support.
Republican support particularly will be essential to getting a successful
vote out of committee and then bring the bill to the floor.

Our mission is clear, and time is short!

We need to convince all members of the Resources Committee to vote for
CARA.

We've all worked hard to get this far . . . let's roll up ourselves and
make sure CARA receives the support it deserves.

The most important thing you can do is call, fax or e-mail members of the
Resources Committee and urge them to vote for CARA!  Attached is the list
of members. Send this message to colleagues, friends and family in other
states and encourage them to do the same.

Additionally, the Resources Committee is accepting comments via email at:
CARA@mail.house.gov . Let's make sure they hear loud and clear of our
support for the bill especially Title III.

Here are 10 reasons to support CARA:

1) CARA is the most sweeping and significant piece of conservation
legislation in half a century.

2) By providing increased funding for wildlife programs, CARA will reduce
the need for costly and disruptive endangered species listings.  It will
help ensure that common species remain common.

3) The bipartisan bill before the committee is the result of extensive
negotiations between Republican and Democratic leaders.  It is sensible,
moderate, consensus legislation!

4) CARA has the support of a huge coalition of businesses, conservation
groups, sportsmen's organizations, and municipal leaders.  Forty-nine
governors have expressed their support for the basic concepts in the
bill.

5) CARA keeps decision-making at the local and state level, not in D.C.

6) Sportsmen will no longer be the only ones contributing financially to
wildlife conservation programs.

7) CARA will provide much needed funding for greenbelts, playing fields,
trails, and neighborhood parks.  Outdoor recreation is essential for
healthy families and boosts the quality of life for all Americans.

8) CARA will help protect and restore the nation's coastline. It will
help states and coastal communities mitigate the impacts of offshore oil
and other types of development.

9) More than 125 members of the House and 21 members of the Senate are
cosponsoring CARA. CARA's time has come!

10) CARA provides a way to invest revenues from the depletion of the
nation's oil reserves into something of lasting value for all Americans.

PLEASE ACT NOW TO MAKE SURE CARA BECOMES A REALITY!

Call, e-mail or fax as many members of the Resources Committee as
possible. Tell them why you support CARA.  Pass this message on to as
many people as you know. If you have friends or family in states with
Resource Committee members, please send them this message.

On the next page is the contact information you need.

DON'T SIT BACK.  NOW IS THE TIME TO TAKE THIS STEP FOR WILDLIFE.  Future
generations will thank us for having worked so hard to pass this landmark
bill.  If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to call Naomi or
Sara at IAFWA at 202-624-7890.

HOUSE RESOURCES COMMITTEE

Walter B. Jones, NC
Phone: (202) 225-3415
Fax: (202) 225-3286
Email: congjones@mail.house.gov

Robin Hayes, NC
Phone: (202) 225-3715
Fax: (202) 225-4036
Email: robin.hayes@mail.house.gov

Naomi Edelson
International Assn. of Fish and Wildlife Agencies
444 N. Capitol St., NW
Suite 544
Washington DC 20001
tel: (202) 624-7890