Re: Peregrine falcons

PeachRTHA@aol.com wrote:

> August 25, 1999 brought the removal of the peregrine from the Endangered
> Species list following years of recovery efforts on a grand scale.  Included
> in this monumental effort were breeders (propagators), falconers, U.S. Fish
> and
> Wildlife Services, and others too numerous to mention here.  Do not believe
> everything you read or hear in the news.  The U.S. Dept. of the Interior,
> Fish and Wildlife Service assumes the responsibility to ensure that all
> threats to the species are adequately addressed and that its future will be
> monitored closely.  The Service is currently working with the States through
> the International Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies to develop
> management plans dealing with the peregrine issues.  Before any management
> plans are implemented Environmental Assessments must be completed also.
>     Strict guidelines and regulations govern permittees for captive
> propagation, scientific collections, falconers, and migratory bird control.
> No one under these permits are allowed to take wild peregrines for ANY
> reason.  Under NO circumstances are falconers or other persons allowed to
> take ANY wild bird and then sell it. So the story by the newsperson that
> "falcons would be netted along the Eastern Seaboard and then sold to people
> who use the birds for hunting" is simply not true - but it makes for a good
> story to cause a lot of rumors to occur.  Don't fall into the pit.
>     For further information on truthful facts, you may contact the U.S. Fish
> and Wildlife Division for your region.  If you have access to the Federal
> Register you may refer to the October 4, 1999 issue, Vol. 64, No. 191.
>     I hope this information will curb the tide of rampant misinformation and
> assure people that this special bird will always be protected to the fullest
> extent
> possible.    (And in response to someone's earlier comments, birds of prey
> could never fall into the category of "pet".)
>     I understand that this listserv is designed to be for birders to share
> information, sightings and good times birding.  It is a wonderful place to
> share with others who share your enthusiasm for the winged creatures of the
> skies.  Something we all admire and in a way envy.
>     This reply is made with my personal knowledge and not intended to seek
> approval or disapproval of an issue.  Each must decide for himself what is
> truth.
>
> Cynthia R. Dickerson
> Statesville, N.C.
> Peachrtha@aol.com

Dear friends;
I see another divisive thread coming up, so will make only one reply to it, as
the bird doldrums are here in Buncombe County; I went out in the field
Wednesday, and the woods were silent, except for a few distant Chickadees and
one Pileated. Maybe with Winter.
1.) Peregrine Falcons are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty act, and
cannot be sold.
2.)Falconers are not looking for "pets", but hunting companions, which usually
are released back into the wild after a couple of years. Hand reared birds are
no good for this, as they are too thouroughly "manned" (imprinted), therefore
useless for breeding, and cannot be released back into the wild.
3.)Falconers were very instrumental in recovery programs. Very. No one would
have known how to hack chicks had it not been for this nefarious sport. There
would have been no captive breeding stock.
4.)We are back to hammering hunters of all kinds. The modern populations of
ducks (and many other species, including Deer and Wild Turkey) are attributable
to sport hunters. Every time a hunter (or fisherperson) buys a license,
ammunition, lure, rod, gun, or anything relating to that sport, a portion of the
proceeds go to wildlife protection and preservation, which is why I buy a
Sportsman's license every year, even though most years I only hunt pigeons made
of clay, and pop cans.
5.)Falconers have a rapport with their birds that few get with any animal, and
the responsibility for that bird is so awesome that few can afford the time or
monetary investment to keep more than one bird at a time. Most hunters are
responsible caring environmentalists, and not a few of them are avid birders. To
say that birders outnumber hunters would be pushing the facts. We birders who go
to National Wildlife Refuges for birding are doing it on the largesse of
hunters. (See #4)
6.) I will probably be banned from this list for airing my opinions, but I
cannot sit by and let people following a legal, responsible sport be castigated
for their participation. If a Peregrine Falcon kills a Quail where we can see
it, we cheer and whoop, but when a Human, persuing legal game, does the same
thing, we want him (or her; yes Women hunt, many of them) we want them put in
jail.
7.)Farewell everyone, as I am likely to be bumped from the list!

--
Alex Netherton
The Appalachian Naturalist

Get paid to surf the Web! Just click on this link to sign up for free!
http://www.alladvantage.com/home.asp?refid=CTF-452